Thursday, July 13, 2006

 

Day 24 Wall to Pierre, SD





DISAPPOINTMENT IN PIERRE


The events of today’s ride unfolded in ways I had not expected. I did learn from this ride, but I hope that I will never have to repeat the experience. It was the most difficult cycling challenge I have ever faced—without a doubt. It left me physically drained and disappointed.

The route was 117 miles from Wall to Pierre, SD (pronounced PEER) , the State Capital. We rode out of town at 5:30 am into wide open big sky country. There were no services until Pierre; no convenience stores for food or drink. The temperature would be 106 degrees, “the hottest day since 1936" according to the weatherman. We faced unfavorable winds for 70 miles of this route. Winds at a punishing 20 mph with gusts that moved our bikes. The prairie grasses were bent over in the wind. We struggled to get above 10 mph on a regular basis. There is a saying on the prairies: “There is nothing between you and the wind but a barbed wire fence”. That was true today. The winds howled through our helmets. There was not an inch of shade anywhere–we were totally exposed all day long–no clouds, no trees. The heat soaked in. We were caked in salty sweat.

We climbed nearly 4,000 ft over the course of 100 miles on mostly long rolling hills, one after the other. It was a long and physically demanding cycling day.

I rode with Dan, Keith, Joyce and Dale until flat fires and hills separated us. By then Joyce and I were well to the front of the majority of cyclists–stretched out over 30 miles on this 117 mile route. We were ahead of the support vehicles—and the water. We relied on the 3 SAG stops for our only food and water, but they were hours apart. Our water bottles were full and cold when leaving the SAG, but suitable for making tea shortly thereafter. It was so HOT!

We left the last SAG at the 83 mile mark. The wind held us to 10 mph–we had over 3 hours left. The hill climbs continued, the temperature hit 100 degrees, no shade, and finally no food and no water.

At the 100 mile mark I got off the bike. I was nauseous and felt faint, I began to cramp. I sat at he side of the road waiting for water–and resting. I wanted to continue. The van arrived full of cyclists with their bikes on the roof. I thought with water and some rest I could go on. Against the advice of others-- I did. I reached 101.4 miles, 16 miles short of Pierre....and could not go on. I was cramping in both legs–I could not stay on the bike. It was over. I stopped to wait to be picked up. I could not finish the course...I was completely drained, physically unable to continue, and terribly disappointed.

There were more than half of our cycling group that did not complete the course. A sheriff’s car picked up2 overheated bikers, one was taken to the hospital at 120 mph for an ice bath and IV fluids. Another rider went to the emergency room later in the evening for an IV. Two had crashed earlier in the day. We were a beaten crew. I have never felt worse after cycling or any athletic endeavor. I was totally dehydrated and drained of all energy.


Some cyclists made it. I congratulate them. A few were out on the road for 13 hours in that heat and wind and hilly terrain. One cyclist hitch-hiked and came into town in a pick up truck.

I’ll chalk this one up to experience: Keep hydrated, keep eating, and stay within range of the support vans.

Tomorrow will be a better day,

Bill

Comments:
I'm sure glad I read Day 25 first, so that when I read Day 24, I knew you were OK!! Sounds like it was a "perfect storm" of bad conditions. And knowing you, you'll ride an extra 16 miles sometime!!
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?